What is the RubyGems Package Manager?
Posted by Allura on 25 04 2018.
A quick and brief overview
RubyGems package manager is especially created for Ruby programming language. The specialty of this package manager is self-contained format that helps developers distribute Ruby programs as well as libraries. This may be noted that this special interface works only toward traditional Ruby programming without affecting any of your applications registered with the Application Manager interface of cPanel vide (cPanel >> Home >> Software >> Application Manager).
Functionalities of Ruby Gem Installer
This special feature of cPanel helps user search, download and also install any Ruby Gem. If you’re sure of which Ruby Gem you want to install for your development, simply enter the name in the specified text box namely Install a Ruby Gem and just click the Install Now option.
How to install Ruby Gem
While searching for and installing a Ruby Gem, follow the below-mentioned instructions.
- You can use any of the following techniques to find out the Ruby Gem you are looking for.
- All you need to enter specific search term in the text box and click Go, as usually.
- Now click the Show Available Ruby Gem option to get the complete list of available Ruby Gems.
- The interface that you are using will display the undermentioned information for all the Ruby Gems being displayed.
- Module Name – This describes the name of the Ruby Gem.
- Version – The version number of respective Ruby Gem will be displayed.
- Description – This displays a brief description of the respective Ruby Gem.
- Actions – This describes potential actions that you might be performing for that particular Ruby Gem.
- Finally click Install option next to the Ruby Gem that you wish to download and eventually install on your device.
- To watch the documentation of the Ruby Gem chosen by you, click Show Docs option for that particular Ruby Gem.
- If you couldn’t find the Ruby Gem you’re looking for, choose a new keyword and just enter it in the Search box followed by clicking Go
Features of Installed Ruby Gem (s)
Installed Ruby Gem(s) is a table to list all the existing Ruby Gems on your server. For each, the following table displays the undermentioned data.
- Module Name – This column describes the name of the Ruby Gem.
- Version – The version number of respective Ruby Gem will be displayed under this column.
- Actions – This column lists the actions that you can perform for each and every Ruby Gem.
- Update – This updates Ruby Gem.
- Reinstall – This re-installs Ruby Gem.
- Uninstall – This uninstalls Ruby Gem.
- Show Docs – This reads the documentation of the Ruby Gem.