What is RubyGems Package Manager?
Posted by Allura on 21 08 2019.
Like all programming languages, Ruby Programming language uses a package manager. This package manager is called the RubyGems package manager. It comes with a self-contained format. Using this format, software developers can distribute Ruby programs and libraries written in this language.
More information on RubyGems has been provided in the Ruby Gems documentation.
We disapprove of this interface in cPanel and WHM version 66. In order to develop a Ruby-based application in cPanel and WHM version 66, follow the given steps accordingly:
- Ruby should be present on the system. Your hosting provider should have Ruby installed on the system using the given EasyApache 4 RPMs.
- The ea-apache24-mod_env
- The ea-ruby24-ruby-devel
- A Ruby application for your server has to be created. In case, you need an example regarding the methods to do this, go through our How to Create Ruby Web Applications documentation.
- Using the interface for cPanel’s Application Manager (cPanel >> Home >> Software >> Application Manager ), register the application on it.
About Ruby Gem Installer
The Ruby Gem Installer is a program feature that allows you to look up, download, and install a Ruby Gem.
To search and perform the installation of a Ruby Gem, follow the given steps:
- Any one of the following methods can be used to find the desired Ruby Gem:
- Input the information or term in the available search box and click on ‘Go.’
- Select and click on ’Show Available Ruby Gem(s)’ to show the list of available Ruby Gems.
- The platform displays the given information for all the available and displayed Ruby Gems:
- Module name – The name of the Ruby Gem
- Description – The version number of the Ruby Gem
- Version – A summary of the Ruby Gem
- Actions – The actions that one can and may perform on the Ruby Gem.
- Select and click on ‘Install’ present next to the Ruby Gem that you would want to download and install in your system.
- To go through the documentation of a Ruby Gem, click on ‘Show Docs’ for the particular Ruby Gem.
- In case, you could not find the required Ruby Gem, enter a new term or relevant keywords in the ‘Search‘ box and click on ‘Go.’
If you are aware of the exact name of the Ruby Gem you want to install, enter the name in the ‘Install a Ruby Gem’ text box and click on ’Install Now.’
More About Installed Ruby Gems
The ‘Installed Ruby Gem(s)’ displays a table of all the available Ruby Gems existing on your server.
The following information is displayed in case of every installed Ruby Gem:
- Module Name – The name of the Ruby Gem
- Version – The version number of the Ruby Gem
- Actions – Actions that you can or may perform on each Ruby Gem. The following actions are permissible:
- Update – The Ruby Gem can be updated
- Reinstall – The Ruby Gem can be reinstalled
- Uninstall – The Ruby Gem can be completely removed or deleted from your server
- Show Docs – The documentation of Ruby Gem is made available for reading.
Everything that you would need to know about Ruby Gems package manager has been encapsulated in the information presented in this document. Find more about them by following the path cPanel >> Home >> Software >> RubyGems for cPanel and WHM version 68.