What is Hotlink Protection?
Posted by Allura on 01 03 2018.
A Brief Overview
When an outsider tries to insert any content from your site into another competitor website and eventually consumes your site bandwidth to serve their files, this unethical breach is known as a Hotlink. The Hotlink Protection interface helps in preventing this issue.
A Few Points to Note
- While disabling hotlinks, make sure that you are allowing hotlinks for the necessary domains that shouldn’t get blocked out. For instance, the URL of your website’s sub-domains that you use for accessing your cPanel account.
- If the URL that you use for accessing your cPanel account does not show in the List the URLs to which you wish to allow access list, you may not be able to preview the embedded images in the HTML Editor. For example, while viewing the File Manager interface – (cPanel >> Home >> Files >> File Manager).
How to Enable Hotlink Protection?
In order to enable hotlink protection, you need to perform the following steps:
- In order to allow some specific sites to hotlink to your site, add their URLs to the List the URLs to which you would like to allow the access
- In order to block direct access to files of specific types, add those in the list of file extensions to the Block direct access for the following extensions
- For instance, if you wish to block all .jpg images, add .jpg to the Block direct access for the following extensions
- When you are blocking these file types, others cannot even hotlink those types of files from your website, despite of any other settings.
Allowing Specific Access
In order to allow the visitors access to specific content through the URL, click on the Allow direct requests option.
- For instance, if you enable the option below, a visitor could enter, let’s say – http://www.example.com/folder/example.jpg as a URL to access the example.jpg file.
- In order to redirect requests for some specified content, enter the URL to which you wish to redirect your visitor to the – Redirect the request to the following URL text box.
- Finally click Submit. And you’re done.
How to Disable Hotlink Protection?
In order to disable hotlink protection, click on the Disable option.
Please Note the Following:
When you click Disable, the system deletes the entries in the List the URLs. This is the list to which you want to allow access. Thus, we strongly recommend that you save the list locally first before you disable hotlink protection altogether.
The invasion of an outsider trying to implant their content from your site to some other site has become a common problem which is quite unavoidable. However, in this Cyber age this is a very grave and serious issue. And it cannot go unnoticed under any circumstances. Thus, the Hotlink Protection is very helpful to control this issue.