The interface allows the user to route domains incoming mail to a specific server. The DNS records also reflect the changes made in the domains MX ( Mail Exchanger) entry, it changes with MX. The Mail Exchanger record ( MX record) is a type of resource record in the Domain Name System that specifies a mail server responsible for accepting email messages on behalf of a recipients domain, if multiple servers are available preference value is used to prioritize mail delivery.
Mail Exchanger feature is the latest addition to the cPanel advanced web hosting plan. The feature can be availed by observing a few simple steps:
1) The user is required to sign into their cPanel account.
2) The user should then click the ‘ MX Entry’ icon on the ‘ Mail’ section
3) A domain has to be selected from the drop-down down menu
4) The priority for the New MX Entry’ has to be set in the ‘ Add new record’ section it is important to keep in mind that in this regard 0 is the highest priority.
5) In the destination text box, the hostname of the New Mail Exchanger has to be typed in. The host name of the new mail exchanger should be a proper name, in this case, IP address should not be mentioned in place of it
6) Clicking on ‘ Add New Record’ button saves the changes
A mail exchanger entry is that in which the server receives mail for a domain name. The Edit MX Exchanger allows the user to configure the entry for each destination mail server.
The MX Entry is an efficient tool when the user plans to have their email handled by a different server or setting up a backup email server. The domains MX record contains a list of mail servers that tells email services way to deliver the incoming mail( example.com, aspmxl.I.google.com, alt.aspmxl.I.google.com). It is almost reminiscent of being listed on a virtual mail server phone book. Where the MX record is the phone number and the Internet is the phone. The new MX records do not work immediately it depends mainly on the old MX records time to live.
The MX Entry on cPanel is a useful addition to routing the domains incoming mail to a specific server. The MX interface is very helpful for creating the backup Mail Exchange or to handle meals at times of poor network connection.