Matching Domain Names with IP Addresses
Posted by Allura on 17 04 2019.
cPanel hosting has been on the rise since a long time now, making webhosting accounts and managing servers a very easy task. Thanks to the simple UI and easy-to-use features, it does not take much time to get stared with cPanel hosting.
In this article, we will go through some of the basics of Name Servers- what they are and how they are helpful to promote your online domain.
What is a Name Server?
Name Servers merge your IP addresses (in case you have more than one) with the domain names, so that It becomes easier for a visitor your server, only using the Name Server. What is does is that, the visitor will be asked to put in the name server, and it will browse through other name servers to navigate to your domain and display the results to the visitor.
However, the user has to make their DNS server public and input the IP address and domain create a single Name Server in order for it to work.
How to Setup a Name Server?
- Navigate to the Name Server selection page on WHM and select the Name Server software type that you would want to use. (BIND is recommended)
- After selecting the software, go to the Webhost Manager Setup option to input the Name Server type that you have selected in the text box provided and save the changes.
- Navigate to WHM ‘Add IP Address’ page and then input the IP address that you wish to bind with the name server. You can also choose to include and exclude a range of IP addresses that you deem necessary in the space boxes provided. Click on Submit when you are done adding the IP addresses.
- One has to create A or AAAA entries for the name servers after adding the IP addresses.
- In order to do this step, navigate to Address Records tab in the Webhost Manager setup option.
- After the system performs a DNS lookup, you will need to select the IPv4 protocol type and enter IPv4 address.
- If you wish to do an IPv6 protocol, you need input the subsequent address to create a AAAA record.
- After creating A or AAAA entries, you need to create a “A” entries for your hostname. Navigate to WHM’s page and enter the IP address of your server and click on ‘Add Entry’.
- Once you finish all the steps, you need to register your name server with the Registrar. Some of the registrars include: DirectNIC, DynaDot, Enom, GoDaddy.
Note: The last step needs you to have an account with the registrar and you must be logged in with your domain.