Installation of an EV SSL Certificate on WHM/CPanel
Posted by Allison on 20 10 2017.
Before we lay down the steps to install an EV SSL certificate on the WHM/CPanel, let us understand SSL in brief.
SSL or Secure Socket Layer is the standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between a web server and a browser. This link ensures that all data passed between the web server and browsers remain private and integral.
Pre-Requisites to install EV SSL Certificate on WHM/CPanel:
- User has an administrator access to ‘SSL Manager’ inside WHM.
- User has received the SSL certificate in a file with the file name as <domainname.crt> where domainname is the domain for which the user has registered the website.
- User has received the ca-bundle’ file
Steps to install:
Now that we are ready to install, we must know that there is a slight difference in installation procedure in the WHM (the admin console) and the CPanel (end-user console). This section will illustrate the steps required to install the certificate in both the WHM as well the CPanel.
- Log in to WHM and navigate to the ‘SSL/TLS’ section. Click ‘Install a SSL Certificateand Setup the Domain’.
- Copy and Paste the contents of the .crt file and paste it in the white box. Locate the Key file Section and click on the Fetch button to populate the the private key and domain, user and IP address information from the server
- Navigate to – ‘Paste the ca bundle here (optional)’. Paste the contents of the ca- bundle file in this box.
- Click the ‘Submit’ button to install the EV SSL certificate on the WHM as well as on the domain in the server.
- Log in to CPanel. Navigate to Security >> ‘SSL/TLS Manager’.
- Click on ‘Certificates’.
- Locate ‘Paste the .crt below:’ Copy and Paste the contents of the .crt file.
- Click ‘Submit’ to install the EV SSL certificate on the WHM as well as on the domain in the server.
- User can upload the EV SSL certificate through the browser also by clicking on the ‘Upload’ button and browsing the local folder where the certificate has been placed.
- The Private key is absolutely necessary to complete the installation process. In case it is not available , the same can be generated at the following link : Private Key Generator