How to use Leech Protection Interface?
Posted by Allura on 10 10 2019.
This feature is for cPanel and WHM version 68. One needs to navigate to(cPanel >> Home >> Security >> Leech Protection) for accessing this feature.
The Leech Protection is a Standard Security feature offered within cPanel, to prevent users from publicly posting their passwords to a restricted area of a site. In case, a user has already done that and if it is causing a threat to your website’s security, it can be restricted. When a user is trying to access another’s account using the correct username and trying to login using multiple combinations of passwords by guessing them, they can be prevented too.
Leech protect a default time is set for 2 hours. So you can easily define the maximum number of logins for individual users in 2 hours. If the user has exceeded the log in limit, you can redirect them to another URL, send an alert e-mail, or even disable their account.
How to Enable the Leech Protection?
To enable the Leech Protection, perform the following steps:
- Click Settings, and select one of the location to where you want to begin navigation:
- WebRoot (i.e. public_html or www) – Start navigation in the document root for the account’s primary domain.
- Document Root for – Select the domain that corresponds to the document root in which you wish to begin navigation.
- Click on Always open this directory in the future checkbox to configure the interface and to always open this selection. Save Changes now.
- Select the directory that needs to be protected. Click on the folder to navigate and select the appropriate folder that has to be protected.
- Enter the number of logins a user within a period of two-hour will be allowed to log in.
- To redirect the user who has exceeded the maximum number of logins within two-hours, enter a URL to redirect them.
- Now, to send an email alert when Leech Protection is activated, select the Send Email Alert To Enter the email address to alert.
- To disable an account that has exceeded the maximum number of logins, select the Disable Compromised Accounts checkbox and Click
How to manage users?
To add, edit and delete users, perform the following steps:
- Navigate to a directory that you wish to protect and click on the appropriate folder icon.
- Click the desired folder’s name to select it. A new interface will appear.
- Click Manage Usersto navigate to cPanel’s Directory Privacy interface for that folder (cPanel >> Home >> Security >> Directory Privacy).
How to Disable leech protection?
To disable leech protection following steps need to be performed:
- Navigate to the directory, select the desired folder by clicking it.
- Click on the appropriate folder icon to go to another folder, click on the desired folder’s name, and select it.
- Under Disable Protection, Click Disable.
All information on Leech protection is vividly outlined in this article.