How can we Configure Which Server Mails for a Domain Name?
Posted by Allura on 15 03 2019.
One needs to navigate to (WHM >> Home >> DNS Functions >> Edit MX Entry) for working on this feature. A mail exchanger (MX) entry helps in finding the server which receives mail for a domain name. This interface helps one in configuring the entry for each of the destination mail server.
How to Edit MX Entries
There are certain steps by which MX entries can be edited.
- To begin, select the name of the the particular domain from which to configure the mail exchanger entry. This can be done by accessing the ‘choose a domain to edit’ menu.
- Having selected a domain, one must choose the Edit option. Once that is done a new interface can be accessed.
- Therein one can select the given Email Routing setting that one wishes to set and use.
- Once all of the aforementioned steps have been completed one can manually change the settings for each mail exchanger entry from the section specifically called MX Entries Section.
- Finally, one simply has to click Save to conclude the process.
There are ways by which value of each MX entry can be configured.
- TTL – This specifically refers to the ‘time to live’ and indicates the duration for which a given record is stored in memory before it automatically refreshes. This integer value is displayed in seconds and usually auto-reverts to 14400.
- Priority Value – This refers to another integer value which is set depending on the priority order of the particular mail server when viewed in correlation to other Mail Exchanger Entries. However, the lower the server’s assigned ‘Priority Value’, the higher is its priority. Hence, servers with the lowest priority value act as the primary mail servers while those with lower priority values act only as secondary mail servers. In the event that multiple servers have the same value, mail is distributed simultaneously and at random to those servers by the systemic process.
- MX Destination – This simply refers to the name if the given mail server and may be edited as well.
Add and Delete MX Entry Text Boxes
To add MX Entry Text Boxes
For this, one needs to click on Add Another MX Entry Field . A new row will appear thereafter.
To Delete MX Entry Text Boxes
For this, one needs to click on Delete next to that MX entry.
It is to note that the bottom MX entry text box is always a new MX entry. Also, it displays the label (new) in the extreme right column.
All information about MX entry is outlined in this review.