Email Account Forwarders and Steps to add Forwarder
Posted by Allura on 25 09 2018.
This feature is for cPanel and WHM version 68. One needs to navigate to (cPanel >> Home >> Email >> Forwarders) for working on this feature. It allows one to configure an email address to forward copies of incoming emails to some other address. This can be useful if one wants to use one email address to check emails addressed to multiple accounts. One can even discard email or send (pipe) email to a program.
In order to manage forwarders for a specific domain on one’s account, one can select the desired domain from the Managing menu.
It is to note that in order to manage forwarders for email accounts that makes the use of BoxTrapper feature (cPanel >> Home >> Email >> BoxTrapper), one can use the BoxTrapper Forward List feature.
Email Account Forwarders
This table lists all the email addresses that makes use of a forwarder to redirect email to any other address or service.
- One can enter a keyword in the Search text box and click on Go in order to quickly find a specific email address.
- One can click on Trace in the Functions next to that email address in order to view the route that a forwarded email takes.
- One can click on Delete next to that email address, and then click on Delete Forwarder to confirm in order to delete a forwarder.
It is important to note that if one fails to delete the cPanel account for which email is forwarded, both the accounts will receive email.
If one wishes to forward all incoming mail from one account to another account but do not want to receive email at the first account, then one can create a forwarder from an address that do not have a cPanel account. If the account already exists, one can delete it.
- First, one needs to click on Add Forwarder.
- Then one can enter the address for which one wishes to forward incoming email, in the Address to Forward text box.
- Then one needs to select the desired domain from the menu.
- One needs to select any one of the following options:
- Forward to email address — here, one can select this option to forward incoming email to another address. In this case one just has to enter the address to which one wishes to forward email in the text box.
- Discard and send an error to the sender (at SMTP time) — here, one can select this option to discard incoming email and automatically send a failure notice to the sender. In this case one just has to enter the desired failure message in the Failure Message text box.
- Then, click on Advanced Options in order to view the following additional options:
- Forward to a system account — one needs to select this option to forward incoming email to a system user, just by entering the desired username in the text box.
- Pipe to a program —One needs to enter a path to the program, relative to the account’s home directory (as in, utilities/support.pl) in the text box so as to automatically forward incoming email to a program.
- Discard (Not Recommended) — One can select this option in order to discard incoming email without a failure notice.
This option, however is not much recommended because the sender will not be able know that the delivery failed.
- Finally, click on Add Forwarder.
This feature helps in configuring an email address to forward copies of incoming emails to some other address if one has multiple accounts. This can be done through certain technical steps.