How Data Compression and Extraction Helps You Move Files Through cPanel
Posted by Allison on 16 03 2017.
Data compression allows your files to occupy less disk space than they really should. It allows you to store more files per drive. It also makes file transfer, writing, and reading a lot faster.
This is particularly useful when you move your website or install a program. You can actually extract compressed files into your cPanel account where it will be extracted.
If your website files or program is not yet compressed, you can use online tools that will help you do it. A common tool for this is Winzip, which you can download from its website. Once you install it, do WinZip’s procedure to compress or ‘zip’ your files. Once you’re done, you can upload your compressed file into cPanel. Files compressed using WinZip have a .zip format.
Types of cPanel compressed files
- Zip is the most common compression method. It compresses a file and stores it in a single .zip file.
- Gzip stands for GNU zip, after the GNU operating system. It was adopted by the GNU project and is a popular compression format. It compresses a file and stores it in a single .gz file. Gzip is known to compress files better than the typical Zip method.
- Bzip2 is a high-quality compression method created by Julian Sward. It uses the Burrows-Wheeler compression algorithm together with Run-Length encoding. This helps it achieve maximum compression that’s even better than Gzip. Bzip2 compressed files have a .bz2 format.
- TAR files are not really compressed files but archive files, which are files that are mere uncompressed compilations of normal files. You can use Gzip or Bzip2 to compress TAR files.
cPanel’s File Manager Tool can compress and extract files inside your cPanel account.
To compress a file, just go to the File Manager and do the following steps:
- Open the folder that contains the files you want compressed.
- Hold the CTRL key and click on each file you want to include in the compressed file.
- Look for the Compress button at the top right corner of the page (where it’s typically located) and click it.
- When you’re on the Compress page, select the compression format you prefer (Zip, Tar, GZiped TAR, BZiped TAR).
- Enter your preferred name for the file and then click Compress File(s).
- Once your selected files have been compressed into one compressed file, a success page will appear containing the list of compressed files.
- You can select any compressed file you need and click Download to download it to your computer.
To extract files, go to the File Manager too and do the procedure below:
- Open the folder that contains the file that you want to compress.
- If the compressed file you need to extract is not in your cPanel, click Upload and lock for the file and open it.
- Right-click on the compressed file inside the folder you selected and click Extract.
- Once the Extract page appears, select the directory to which you want to extract the files.
- Once you’re done, click Extract File(s).
- After the extraction process finishes, a success page will appear containing the list of the files you extracted.
- You can move the folder by clicking it and dragging it to any proper location.
- You can safely remove the zip file from your cPanel account once you’ve extracted the files you need by selecting the file and clicking Delete in the menu.