Combat Malware Issues with Virus Scanner
Posted by Allura on 07 02 2018.
Malware infection has overtime become a matter of growing security concern for the website owners. Security tools like the Virus Scanner alerts users on detecting the presence of malware. It also helps in vulnerability assessment. The Virus Scanner in cPanel essentially searches for viruses, Trojan horses, malware and other threats. It also allows the user to scan email files, files in public web, FTP directories or the entire account. The ClamAV Virus Scanner is an open source antivirus forwarded by cPanel to detect malicious software. The antivirus feature facilitates in scanning different sectors of the home directory. ClamAV is a free and open- source antivirus software available on the cross platform. The main use of this antivirus software tool-kit is that it works as a server-side email virus scanner.
Running the Virus Scanner
In order to run a virus scan to check for malware, viruses and corrupted software follow these steps:
- Click on Virus scanner in the Advanced section of the cPanel home screen.
- Select the directory to be scanned under Start a New Scan
- Scan Mail: This option scans for incoming and outgoing e-mail messages in the mail directory of the users account
- Scan Home Directory: This option scans the all the files in the users account
- Scan Public Web Space: This option scans the infected website files by analyzing the public_html directory of the users account. Scans all the folders that can be publicly accessed through the web.
- Scan Public FTP Space: This option looks for infected files by scanning the public_ftp directory of the users account. Scans all the folders that can be accessed publicly through FTP services.
- Click on Scan Now
- On detecting infected files the following options can be availed:
- Quarantine: On selecting this option the virus scanner moves the file to quarantine directory. Which is located at / home /username /quarantine. The username here represents the account username.
- Destroy: The virus scanner deletes the infected files when this option is selected.
- Ignore: The virus scanner leaves the infected file unchanged on selecting this option.
- Click on Process Cleanup to complete the virus scan process.
cPanel’s Power tool for Antivirus Security
Server security is of utmost importance to keep secured the website and important data. Keep cPanel updated to the latest version to reduce malware attacks. The Virus Scanner on cPanel effectively scans the emails, home directory, public web space and public FTP space and detects the presence of malicious software and viruses. By scanning the potential security threats the system prompts the user to perform appropriate action.