A Brief Discussion on Hotlink Protection
Posted by Allura on 06 11 2018.
This feature is for cPanel and WHM version 68. One needs to navigate to (cPanel >> Home >> Security >> Hotlink Protection) for working on this feature. A hotlink occurs when someone inserts content from one’s site in another site and uses one’s bandwidth to serve the files. This interface helps to prevent this issue.
It is to note that when one disable hotlinks, one must make it a point in allowing hotlinks for any necessary domains. For example, one’s website’s subdomains and the URL that one uses to access another person’s cPanel account.
If the URL that one uses to access one’s cPanel account does not appear in the List the URLs to which one wishes to allow access list, then one may not see inserted images in the HTML Editor in the File Manager interface (cPanel >> Home >> Files >> File Manager).
Enable Hotlink Protection
- Firstly, one needs to click on Enable. Thereafter, a new page will open displaying the Allowed referrers and Protected extension
- Then click on Go back.
- Next, in order to allow specific sites to hotlink to one’s site, one must add one’s URLs to the URLs to allow access
- In order to block direct access to files of specific types, one must add those file extensions to the Block direct access for the following extensions text box.
- For example, in order to block all .jpg images, one must add .jpg to the Block direct access for the following extensions text box.
- When one block these file types, others cannot hotlink those types of files from one’s website, disregarding any other settings.
- In order to allow visitors access to specific content through the URL, one must select the Allow direct requests
- For example, if one enable this option, a visitor could possibly enter http://www.example.com/folder/example.jpg as a URL to access the jpg file.
- In order to redirect requests for certain content, one must enter the URL which one wants to redirect to one’s visitor in the Redirect the request to the following URL text box.
- Lastly, click on Submit.
Disable Hotlink Protection
In order to disable hotlink protection, one can click on Disable option.
It is to note that when one clicks on Disable option, the system deletes the entries in the List the URLs to which you wish to allow access list. In such case, it is strongly recommended to save the list locally before disabling hotlink protection.
This feature helps in resolving the issues of creation of hotlinks and maintain one’s account privacy with certain technical steps.